THE TIME AND DATE IN TONGA IS:

25 July 2008

Ha'apai - Part 2

For the week I was at Billy's Place, my life consisted basically of exploring the interior of Lifuka and Foa islands (connected by a sweet causeway, pictured). The place had free use of "mountain bikes." They were one speed granny bikes, good for the flat environment, like the one I used in Holland (the kind you had as a kid where you have to pedal backwards to stop, which was a lot of fun to remember when I suddenly needed brakes).

Biking around Lifuka was about the same as biking around Tongatapu, with one big exception - no crazy dogs. There were oodles of dogs, and I tensed with the anticipation of the chase whenever I passed one, but they were all pretty much asleep. I think maybe, because there were so many more Tongans using bikes than cars in Ha'apai, the dogs were used to the novelty.

The whole island was in general a lot more rural; not just fewer cars and more bikes, but also a lot of locals on horseback. The only place I had seen horse in Tongatapu was at the butcher shop, so this was a surprise. Score one for colonialism (or British protectoratism) because I'm sure horses would have never found there way to these islands without it.

I had heard that there was a museum in Pangai, the capital. And there are few things better in an obscure town then checking out the local museum and its random artifacts. I hear that at a museum in Fiji, for example, there is a collection of wooden forks left over from use when the first few missionaries arrived "just in time" for some great feasts.

I stopped at the Tourism Office to ask where exactly the museum was. The people looked at each other, and then handed me a key. Misunderstanding, I'm sure...maybe they thought I asked about the bathroom. I swear every time I ask for peanut butter at a roadside shop, they think I'm asking for beer, so it could happen! I asked again, and they told me the museum was down the street across from the Governor's Residence, and to lock up when I was done. "Ok...this is a new one," I thought (and think often in Tonga). I biked to the museum, unlocked the door, and found myself among a whole bunch of Ha'apai history artifacts. Of course, having grown up in a city that hires people to make sure you can't touch all the cool looking dinosaur bones at the Civilization museum, I proceeded to touch absolutely everything. The exhibits were mostly natural history stuff - shells, fish bones, informative posters. I especially enjoyed one that had a story about how "rat" pooped on "octopus" when octopus was helping him cross the ocean, explaining the passionate blood feud between these two species. There were a lot of humpback whale bones, including an inner ear. There was even a huge turtle shell on a shelf that I was considering taking down and using like a shield before a couple NZ tourists showed up and spoiled my plans.

All in all Ha'apai was pretty cool, though I explored it real fast. Next school break I'll head to Vava'u. And with any luck someday the remote Niuas (the Tongan tourism brochure reads in a contradicting way, "there are flights every week to the Niuas. At this time, the runway is closed down," making me wonder if I need skydiving lessons for the trip).

6 comments:

  1. Now there's a museum that I want to go to :).

    I have a feeling that the Pacific pirates aren't quite like the ones in Monkey Island where all you have to do is learn how to sword fight. But a recommendation letter would have been nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the comments on fucked off to India blog. I forgot to enable comemnt moderation so it got spammed. It´s a great place and I had an amzing trip. Good work on yoru own blog--keep it up.


    chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there nephew. Did you call the number?

    Sounds like you are enjoying life (except the dogs) and you look very healthy! Love you! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Horses at the butcher shop? Uh oh, not Black Stallion!

    Free reign at a museaum? That's pretty cool. Also the story of rat VS octopus. I had no idea they were such bitter enemies, like spaghetti and milk.

    Did you ever call Paul? He deserved a response, and it would be the coolest thing to happen in his life so far. Personally I don't think he's part of the problem - the bottle floats and would eventually be found by capitalist treasure seekers.

    Maybe to get to Vava'u you need the type of device seen in the Dark Knight. Oh right you haven't seen it yet, too bad. It was awesome, even the third time, in Imax!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rats and octopi are enemies? You learn something new every day! hehe! Love it!

    The message in the bottle thing is soooooo funny. I think they made us do that when I was a kid in school...or maybe it was attach notes to helium balloons? Either way, an exercise in littering. Duh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yeah, that reminds me, I called Paul! His Mom answered the phone and didn't speak a word of English. In my awkward French, I explained why I was asking if her 9 year old son was home and put her mind to ease.

    Just as she began to get super excited about the message, the credit on my phone ran out. I biked furiously to the nearest Chinese shop, bought 20 pa'anga worth of credit, and called again.

    I finished the story and we exchanged e-mail addresses, but I haven't heard from them and the e-mail I wrote down didn't work (I blame my poor recall of the French alphabet). Who would have kn own that it's like $3 a minute to call French Polynesia, so I haven't phoned again. Still, now Paul knows someone found his letter and called, even if we never had time to discuss my own stance on ocean littering (against).

    ReplyDelete