THE TIME AND DATE IN TONGA IS:

10 November 2009

'Api Fo'ou...this is the name I'm proud of!

So begins our school's theme song, which I will gladly sing for you if you butter me up with copious amounts of wine.

Well, I'm coming home to Canada in three weeks. School's basically finished here, just external exams coming and little more then informal study sessions until then (which the students LOVE, because they don't have to wear their uniforms - take that conformity!). I'm just working through my "things to do before I leave Tonga" list, which is mostly eating various animal species that are illegal to eat in Canada but perfectly acceptable to consume here.

I've also got a new internet connection (long angry story) that is WAY more stable then what I used for the last year and a half. AND, I've got about a thousand photos of Tonga, thanks to the information sharing network put in place by the Patriot Act. As a result, until something really fancy happens, I figured I'd do a few photo posts.

I thought I'd start with something that I probably don't write about often enough, considering I go there and work for AT LEAST 50 minutes a day (at most, four hours): school! Some of the pictures were taken by a shutter-happy "shackle dragger" (Australian) who volunteers at the school with me.

This is from about a third into my first year in Tonga. I took my Form 6 students on a field trip to the Paepae 'o Tele'a monumental step pyramid. In true Tongan fashion, they all rode in the back of a pick-up truck. Of course it rained the whole way there and the whole way back, but they were just happy to get an afternoon off from school.

Basket weaving! Yes, it's on the curriculum, up there with other such useful classes as Communications, Art History, and Care of Magical Creatures.

Inter-College sports, where we DOMINATED on the field, though the other colleges ran circles around us in "school spirit." A boy's college made matching hats out of palm fronds, then some of them dressed up as girls and danced around like maniacs. No competition.

Proof that cyclone season is no deterrent to AFC's sports training program. the ball floats instead of rolls, and the game continues (the game being, thanks to massive Mormon influence, netball).

The yearly march downtown, for the opening of Parliament (such as it is). Our brass band lead the way. We had a week of marching practice that I knew would benefit from some intensity, but I didn't know how to say "drop and give me fifty, you maggots!" in Tongan.

Waiting for the reagent to drive by to open Parliament, the kids show how much they love to pose for the camera, with no fear that it may steal their souls.

The school's coolest girl (last year's head girl) naturally posing with the school's coolest boy (who asked me to stand in for him while he went to the toilet).

This photo was taken today! This is my Form 4 Gym class, the only intermediate class I taught in my whole time here (I'm a senior teacher). I typically joined in whatever sport I taught (including three weeks of Ultimate Frisbee!). Highlights included racing them all in a lap of the track, learning to skip double dutch (well, trying to learn), and playing about nine weeks of volleyball (can I blame Mormons for that?). It was MASSIVE fun.

Truly the highlight of my time in Tonga was the school, which is fortunate because it's the whole reason I was sent here! Teaching in Tonga is a joy, and for the students learning is a privilege, which made for a great combination.

12 comments:

  1. I loved the pictures. Thanks for sharing a bit of your time at 'Api Fo'ou. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dan!
    Is the braided hair a part of the girls' uniform? So cute!

    Thanks for sharing the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, the braided hair is part of the uniform! In fact, there are different hair styles (and uniforms) for different schools, which helps me tremendously to recognize outside of school the 400+ girls I don't personally teach! Personally I think our uniforms and hair styles are the best, but I'm biased.

    The school is actually really strict about the dress and hair. There's a "discipline for the small things will lead to discipline for the big things" mentality, like having a perfectly made bed at boot camp. Some of my girls have been sent home for having their hair parted too far to one side or the other, or for having thin blue ribbons instead of thick. Boys have to have very short hair, and if caught with longer hair they'll be sat down by the Head of Discipline for a haircut in the middle of the school yard!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! And I thought my high school uniform policy was strict...

    I like their blue ribbons though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. With policy that strict, how did they ever let someone as scruffy as you come in to teach? Did we not just discuss your hobo beard??
    Unless it was braided and had blue ribbons in it, in which case I'm even more pissed that you didn't post a picture.

    Those pictures are cool. What does netball have to do with mormons? I didn't find any references to them on the wikipedia page you linked to..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahaha hey Leo, you know what we gotta do when I say something about Tonga that Wikipedia doesn't back up (just like the Tonga Trench at 'Eua!).

    The Mormons have built a Church is every Tongan village, and claim that they'll make Tonga the world's first Mormon country. They've included a netball court in their cookie-cutter religious centers, which has made the sport massively popular here in Tonga.

    They boys have to keep their hair an inch long or shorter, so last year when I had my hair so long it reached my nose, I could tell the Discipline Master wanted to take a pair of garden shears to it whenever he saw me! Beards seem to be more tolerated, though mine typically looks more like I was too lazy to shave then something planned. Blue ribbons certainly couldn't hurt...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah we have to edit that in.

    How's the general religious level in Tonga anyway? Is it like a tropical salt lake city? I remember you saying people are pretty devout but I didn't know it was mormons all the way down.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, this place is devoutly religious (at least on the outside), especially visible when the entire country shuts down every Sunday. But the ones who stand out th most are the Mormons. Clean new churches in every village, preaching in Tongan/American name-tagged pairs, the country's best-funded schools, and a massive temple complete with a golden figure of some angel. I think that, after Los Angeles, Salt Lake City has America's largest Tongan population.

    I found some info from the 90's that talks about some of the "special attractions" of the Mormon Church in Tonga: http://www.tongatapu.net.to/tonga/convictions/christianity/lds/lds.html

    And some more recent info from Wikipedia, including a picture of the temple here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Church_of_Jesus_Christ_of_Latter-day_Saints_in_Tonga

    A Disney movie came out (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Other_Side_of_Heaven) about a Mormon missionary family in Tonga in the 1950s. I tried to rent it before I left Canada but it was pretty hard to track down (just found it as a torrent, though...I think piracy is legal in Tonga..or is that pirates?).

    ReplyDelete
  9. My, they certainly went all out on the Mormon church there. The one here in Urbana-Champaign isn't nearly so fancy. I guess since they couldn't take Utah, they'll have to settle for Tonga.

    Is that two-finger hand gesture popular with the students? It seems to be in every picture.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice pictures. What's on your to eat list? Birdnest soup or durian perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Craig,

    yep Tongan kids and adults alike make that two finger peace sign in photos. I'm not positive on when or how it caught on, but I heard that American soldiers in Tonga did it as a V for Victory at the end of World War II.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Emily,

    You mean aside from eating the warm beating heart of my enemies to absorb their power?

    ReplyDelete