THE TIME AND DATE IN TONGA IS:

28 January 2008

Finally, pictures

I'm at the school now, on the first day (of staff orientation). The morning was "getting to know each other" stuff, and now we have the afternoon off, so I thought I'd check out the computer lab and see if their internet connection is fast enough to upload some pictures. It's a little slower than I had hoped, so I added only a few...

A Tongan garbage can eating garbage. I'm sure that, once translated, this reads "it just makes sense!"

This is part of the school I teach at, 'Api Fo'ou College, after about three weeks of rain. This is essentially the courtyard, with classrooms around it and one massive tree. I'm standing on the second floor of the staff building taking this picture. The school is much bigger though, almost twenty other buildings for over 1000 students, with many more in construction over a five-year plan.

Lumberjack Dan, in all his glory.

5 comments:

  1. Hey there Dan,

    We are glad to hear that you made it back and have begun your teaching adventure. I expect you had an awesome time on your island adventure . It is nice to see some pictures.
    Love from MoM and DaD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome pictures!

    Need to export that weather here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually I translated that garbage can and it says "I eat your BABIES"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, over a dozen buildings for 1000 students!? Colonel By had something like 1100 and we were in 1 building!

    Unless "building" means something like those portable classrooms...

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha no, they're actual buildings, with foundations and real classroms! I know, we got gyped at Colonel By, sweating it out in English class.

    ReplyDelete