THE TIME AND DATE IN TONGA IS:

04 July 2009

Bula bula

So much for finishing Tasmania, that's on hold now that I've arrived in Fiji! It's my first full day in Suva, coincidentally also my birthday (though none of the airport and customs officials noticed). But all I care about is that it's "town day," woo hoo!

I'm staying with a friend from Papua New Guinea at the Marist College. Ashton and I taught together last year, before he returned to Fiji to finish his training to become a priest. He invited me to stay at the college, which has been fantastic and I haven't even been here a day yet. There are about 30 seminarians here, and they're from all over the Pacific. This morning I ate breakfast and spoke French with two seminarians from Vanuatu, one from Wallis, one from New Caladonia, and a visiting priest from Africa. Thank you colonialism!

I came at just the right time - last night, being Friday, was "social night," and I was adopted by the Tongan seminarians to join them for what Tongans do best - eating, and drinking kava. And then, as I mentioned, today is "town day." The first Saturday of every month the seminarians are given $30 each to go wild in Suva. Wild with a 10:30pm curfew, that is. Now I know what you're thinking - how crazy can it get when everyone is training to be a priest? Well I'll have you know, we're going to see Transformers 2, and there's even talk of ice cream. So Fijian mothers, lock up your Fijian daughters! Fifteen minutes and seventy cents from now, the bus will be dropping us off in Suva!

1 comment: