THE TIME AND DATE IN TONGA IS:

04 June 2008

In the Meantime

If there's something you can depend on in Tonga, it's holidays (and taro). Between Tongan holidays, Australian holidays, New Zealand's holidays, Catholic holidays, and just plain days off of school, I have a day off almost every week. Last week was the March to Parliament (day off), Ex-Student's Day (day off), and today is some Catholic holiday (so, day off). In fact, in the next seven weeks, I will be working for about two of them. The next two weeks are mid-term exams, during which I have to go to school for just one day to invigilate my form 6 students (the ones from the picture). After that, back for two weeks of school, and then three weeks off for the midterm break (I've already booked my flight to Ha'api).

Just sharing a little insight into island living. When I was maybe 10 (? Mom and Dad would know) I used to have a t-shirt that said BEACH BUM with a crocodile wearing sunglasses. I had no idea how true that would become (though my sunglasses are way cooler than that crocodile's 80s pair). I've taken a bunch of pictures around Tonga in the last couple weeks that I'll post, but in the meantime I though I'd just put up a link to an article I just read that basically explains everything that's been going on in Tonga's recent history, and the topic that's on everyone's tongues right now:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/australasia/a-party-fit-for-a-king-ndash-but-not-needy-tonga-839606.html

4 comments:

  1. i think i may have acquired that shirt in a hand me down exchange. if i found it, i think i might still wear it lol. sounds like your living the life, have fun in hap'pi, it sounds like a happy place... get it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boooo, no fair about the vacations! Now I wish I had booked a flight to Tonga this summer :(. I read the article about the upcoming coronation, very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I get it! It took me a minute (or three weeks, apparently). Because in Tongan, it's pronounced HAH-AH-PIE. It doesn't make a lick of sense, which is why my Tongan is so bad. "I was close enough" is a common phrase I use after I've been corrected.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So what is in Ha'api that you can't get where you are in your neck of the jungle?

    Maize? Corm? Fried cormballs? Tongan rock concerts?

    ReplyDelete